Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Meta-post


After rereading my posts from this semester, I realized that the majority of my posts have been based on pretty general observations about the texts that we have read. They might pertain to specific characters or a situation among characters, but that is the extent of my analysis. The only post that seems to be a bit more specific is my first post which analyzes the beginning of the opening speech by Orsino in Twelfth Night. I think out of all of the posts that I have written so far, this is my best work. This post had the most specific analysis but I think that I could have elaborated further. Those few opening lines had a good amount of information that I could have looked into further. For example, I state in my post that the love that is being described is not true love but infatuation. I think it would have been better if I explained in more depth why I believed that this was infatuation and not real love before I continued in my analysis. This might have integrated my other points more efficiently and made the post as a whole more coherent and unified. I could have also continued with the rest of the speech or maybe in another post, continued with where I left off if it were possible. This topic of opening speeches in all of Shakespeare’s plays would make an interesting paper. I think that from here on in I will focus my posts on the importance or significance of the major speeches in the plays that we read. I will also use these speeches to better my close reading skills and analyze them for more insight on the characters and plot of the play.

Besides these findings which I have just explored, I don’t think that my writing as a whole has changed or evolved much over these past few months. I think what has changed is the content. I think I need to be more specific with what I want to discuss .I also need to find more concrete evidence backing up my claims. I did this in my posts but I only show a few examples. I think by adding a few more that I will be able to strengthen my arguments and make my posts better.

I think that it is important that we do these posts because it allows us to figure out what strikes us most about what we are reading. It also lets us sound off ideas that we might have about the characters and situations in the play. All these things are important in strengthening our close reading skills and helping us establish good ideas for possible essay and research topics.   

No comments: