Sunday, October 14, 2012

The character of Othello changes

It's interesting to see how much Othello has changed; here in Acts 1 and 2 we see him as being a respected leader and now because of Iago's lies Othello has completely gone mad. In Act 4, we see Othello lose control, striking Desdemona in public: "Devil!" (235) Desdemona replies; "I have not deserved this." I can't help but to feel bad for Desdemona? When I read this I couldn't imagine getting slapped around by my husband when I'm completely innocent? I can't help to think that Othello was once respected and now he's basically looked upon as threat, all because of that conniving Iago. It's also amazing to see that one man's words has such an impact; bringing 2 characters down at once; Cassio being accused of adultery and now Othello is losing control all together.

I was surprised to see Othello questioning Emilia in scene 2? Of all people, you would think Emilia's word would be evidence enough that Desdemona is innocent. "You have seen nothing?" "Nor ever heard, nor ever did suspect." (lines 1-2) Othello of course ignores it; "She says enough, yet she's as much. This is a subtle whore, a closet lock and key of villainous secrets" (21-23) it simply does not match up to what he's heard so why should he believe it? Again, we see how powerful Iago's word has on Othello; getting feedback from someone else is not enough, Othello is completely and utterly stuck on Iago's suspicions. With that in mind, I'm surprised he questions Desdemona next? He didn't believe Emilia, why bother interrogating Desdemona when you know you have no intentions of believing her? "Your wife, my lord, your true and loyal wife" "Come, swear it, damn thyself" (36-37)

Despite the abuse Desdemona experienced she still has love for her husband. She doesn't resent him at all; in fact she is upset? "What shall I do to win my lord again?" Good friend, go to him; for by this light of heaven, I know not how I lost him." (152-154)

It's interesting to compare Desdemona and Emilia. Here, Desdemona is grieving over her love for Othello; it means more to her then her own life. Emilia on the other hand is suggesting to Desdemona that she should find happiness somewhere else?

2 comments:

Brianna said...

I agree with you, Liz, in the sense that the change of Othello is dramatic. How could someone like him so noble, trusted and valiant just change at the drop of a hat? It is said jealousy always is a powerful force and clearly in this case we can see how drastically it has affected Othello’s character. After the slap, I believe the characters begin to lose respect for Othello as a leader or at least reader’s begin to hate him. I know when I read it, I was so angered by Othello’s actions that I just wanted to go slap him myself. I don’t think I was surprised by Othello asking Emilia’s opinion I was more shocked and upset that he didn’t believe her word.
I also have an issue with Desdemona and the way she still remains faithful and is even more loving of Othello after all that has happened. I also am aggravated with the way she plays it off that there is something else bothering him, trying to make excuses for his rudeness, physical and emotional damage he is causing her. You would think maybe she would have the smarts to do something or leave him but I guess during that time it was really plausible to do so. The whole play is truly an unfortunate tragedy that didn’t have to happen if jealousy didn’t get in the way and people didn’t take others at face-value.

Anonymous said...

This may be my least favorite play so far. The reason being is because Othello, Desdemona and Emilia's character traits are inconsisistent. After reading your post it made me think about how much Othello's character changes from when he is first introduced. Are we to believe he becomes do so gullable because he is blinded by love? While he is inexperienced in the area, he is a famed warrior. He should be more suspicious. It's not like he thinks he "sees" Desdemona the way Claudio thought he saw Hero. He believes everything Iago feeds him, hook, line and sinker. Which seems odd because he did not trust Iago enought to give hime the esteemed position that he gave Cassio.
As for Desdemona, the woman married a man of a different race behind her father's back. I would expect moer of her character than to accept her husband murdering her while she is innocent.
Evil Iago is the only consistent character in this play!