Monday, September 24, 2012

Beatrice and Benedick


So here we are with Much Ado About Nothing. In the very first scene of the play we are introduced to some very interesting characters, but the character that is of the most interest to me is Beatrice. We learn that she is the niece of Leonato, the governor of Messina.

It is true that she is good-hearted and generous, but there is a side of her that I can’t help but compare to Benedick. These two characters appear at the beginning of the play, mainly in Act one, to be complete opposites, but in fact I see many things between them that are true similarities.

These similarities make me think that perhaps the idea of Don Pedro and Leonato is right on point. “She were an excellent wife for Benedick” (2.1.294). 

To start, the two are very good with words, quick-witted, and get kicks out of mocking others, even their own friends. Beatrice says, “…he is the Prince’s jester, and a very dull fool…” (2.1.113). She goes on to say that his only talent is to come up with “impossible slanders” (2.1.114). Ironically, she too has many of the same characteristics that she says makes Benedick a fool.

Being that the women in the previous plays do not act and speak the way that Beatrice does, I can only assume that it is not typical behavior for the time. Beatrice’s constant pestering of Benedick is a quality that makes her a very unique character of this play. Perhaps, her speaking out of line is the major quality that makes her the fool of the play.

I think that it appears most that Benedick is a fool, when he is giving different meanings to what Beatrice has said to him about dinner (2.3.226-231). This scene most directly reminds me of the scene in Twelfth Night where Feste and Viola are mixing and playing with words.  

                                “No, sir, I live by the church.”

                                “Art thou a clergyman?”

                                “No such matter, sir. I do live by the church; for I do live at my house, and my house doth stand by the church.” (3.1.3-6).

I will personally be paying close attention to this technique and see if Shakespeare continues to use. I am also very interested to learn if there is something underlying in this concept in terms of this play as well as others.

We looked last week at the fool in Twelfth Night, Feste, and the role that he has on the story. Although I am not yet sure how this play is going to end, I do know that in each of the plays we have read thus far, fools do play an important role. My thoughts are that this play is going to be based a great deal on the fools of the story. I find it interesting that these three plays have so many similarities. Let’s hear it for the fools of the play thus far!

3 comments:

Hannah Hoffman said...

Erika, I agree with you, he three plays we have read so far are very similar, between the fool and the women's roles. Benedick and Beatrice are probably my Favorite characters in this whole play! This is my favorite out of all of Shakespeare's plays I have read. I also agree with the quote from Don Pedro "She were an excellent wife for Benedick" Both Beatrice and Benedick make a great pair.I love the wittiness of Beatrice when she is either talking or referring to Benedick. Beatrice is my favorite character overall in this play.

Christina_Joseph said...

I agree with the idea of the fool playing a major role in some of Shakespeare's plays. I think that these characters are part comic relief and part social commentary. The social commentary is expressed in "Midsummer" by Bottom and his relationship with Titania towards the end of the play. Bottom seemed to drive constantly towards the idea that he wants to be rich or at least well off even though everyone mocks him. In the end he gets his few moments of true happiness while he is the lover of Titania. This is only a farce especially since this happens while he has a donkey on his head. This might be Shakespeare's commentary on how elusive and flighty the idea of being wealthy and prosperous is, especially for the poor. It doesn't really bring them anything positive. I do not know how the character of Benedick will in some way be about society and its rules but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Cyrus Mulready said...

It's interesting to think of Feste here, because, of course, we don't have a fool character in the play. Instead, it seems, that role is assumed by Benedick and Beatrice--though with a difference. Their language and wordplay is similar, though they don't have the same satirical and subversive wit to them. A nice connection, though!