Monday, March 14, 2011

Some Much Needed Comic Relief

            While I ended up enjoying (and more importantly, understanding) Richard II by the end of Friday’s discussion, I have to say it wasn’t my favorite. I always have a hard time with history plays, as history (i.e.: names, dates, familial ties, etc.) is not my strong suit or my cup of tea. So when I saw that we were also reading 1 Henry IV, the sequel, I shuddered a little. But after reading Act 1.2, I am so happy to finally see comic relief, thanks to Prince Harry and Falstaff! Their friendship seems to be based on friendly mocking, silly banter, and sarcasm, which I found refreshing after the seriousness of Richard II.
            In the very start of the scene, Harry is already using his language to cleverly poking fun at Falstaff for being overweight by using expressions like “fat-witted” (2; drunk, or dumb) and “Come roundly, roundly” (19; get to the point). Falstaff fires back with, “[M]ajesty I should say, for grace though wilt have none […] not so much as will serve to be prologue to egg and butter” (14-18). In other words, he is implying that the prince doesn’t even have enough grace to bless a small snack with.
            I was most surprised by the amount of sexual innuendo in the Prince’s dialogue, particularly lines 27-34. While I noted the obvious “purse”/genitalia reference, as well as “snatched” and “lay by”, the Norton brought to my attention the other sexual references: “spent with,” “lie back” (duh!), and “low and high” referring to an erection. Whoa dude!
            My favorite moment – and probably the most nonsensical – of this conversation is this exchange:

FALSTAFF: By the Lord, thou sayest true, lad. And is not my hostess of the tavern a most sweet wench?
PRINCE HARRY: As the honey of Hybla, my old lad of the castle. And is not a buff jerkin a most sweet robe of durance?
FALSTAFF: How now, how now, mad wag? What, in thy quips and thy quiddities? What a plague have I to do with a buff jerkin?
PRINCE HARRY: Why, what a pox have I to do with my hostess of the tavern?

            Here, Prince Harry is mocking Falstaff’s “stupid” question by retorting with an equally ridiculous question, about the durability of the sheriff’s uniform. I also love Prince Harry’s use of the expression “what the pox” to foil Falstaff’s “what a plague.” This is some classic male battle of the wits.
            As I was reading this scene, I had to remind myself that Harry/Hal is a prince. And here he is, hanging out with the likes of thieves and robbers, plotting practical jokes with a low-life of sorts. Huh? But instead of being horrified or shocked, I actually found it humbling to see a prince actually enjoying himself, being funny.
            After we enjoy several pages of sexual puns and sarcasm a la Shakespeare, the humor dies down as we learn Prince Harry’s true motives: “Yet herein will I imitate the sun,/Who doth permit the base contagious clouds/To smother up his beauty from the world,/That, when he please again to be himself,/Being wanted, he may be more wondered at/By breaking through the foul and ugly mist/Of vapors that did seem to strangle him” (175-181). Basically, Prince Harry reveals in the monologue that he is only hanging out with this sordid bunch so that when he reveals his true character, everyone will be that much more impressed with him; he will appear more desirable to be king.
            I know that some may interpret Prince Harry as using Falstaff to his advantage, and – who knows? – maybe by the end as this all unfolds that will prove true. But for now I actually sympathize with him; he is acting as many sons/daughters act to gain their parents’ approval, to feel the need to prove themselves. Sure, this may be a dirty way to do it, seeing how much Falstaff respects him. But I don’t know, I don’t see it as so horrendous.

2 comments:

hannahs said...

I completely agree with you on this one. Prince Harry is the wonderful relief in between all of the drudgery of power struggles and politics surrounding the rest of the play (although those can be quite entertaining too). I keep forgetting that he is a prince at all let alone heir to the throne. Suspiciously amongst all of the light hearted banter lies the same political planning that readers notice with other characters. Harry's plotting is interesting to say the least. His use of Falstaff and the rest of the motley crew seems to be his means to his power for the future. One could argue that his entire jester like demeanor is all a facade as Henry manipulates his friends in order to get what he wants. I am very excited to read further and see if Prince Harry is actually the better Harry, and if his joking nature will continue once the plot thickens.

Jenn Mathias said...

I also agree that the comedy within the play is a huge relief to all the seriousness of Richard II. I did have no idea as to some of the meaning and the amount of sexual innuendos. Maybe they just went right over my head, but I'm glad you could clarify them. I agree with Hannah in that it will be interesting to find out where Harry goes in his life as an heir. At this point in the play, he seems like he wouldn't be able to take it very seriously.