Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hopeless Romantic

As a hopeless romantic, I am enjoying the interactions between Portia and Bassanio. While reading, I tried to see if there was a way I could connect the relationship and actions between these characters to the standards of relationships today.

Although Bassanio is trying to win over Portia because he needs money, she is disobeying her father in order to be with him. She is scared and tries to make him wait on choosing a casket and to take his time. She cannot stand the chance that she could lose him forever. As persistent as he is, Bassanio refuses to listen and goes ahead with the game. Portia is sneaky and does what she has to in order to make this man hers. She tries to make it seem romantic by saying a song should be played just in case he chooses incorrectly.

The song begins with “Tell me where is Fancy bred, or in the heart, or in the head…” The last word of each line, such as this one “head,” rhymes with lead. This was Portia’s way of taking control of the situation to get what she wanted. Whether or not Bassanio realized what she was doing, he stood in front of the caskets trying to understand which is correct: gold, silver, or lead? He does not read the riddles either. Instead, he makes his own assumptions. First he denies the gold one saying, “hard food for Midas, I will none of thee” (3.2.102); then he rejects the silver one saying, “pale and common drudge ’tween man and man” (3.2.103–4). Without anymore caskets to debate about, Bassanio chooses the lead casket.

Portia was trying to make Bassanio her man while not breaking the riddle rules. I think if any woman was faced with this situation, she would do the same. I would rather try and move them in the correct direction than marry some random guy who I did not know, nor like. Emotion is a strong basis in a relationship and I believe Portia acted on hers to start a true marriage.

After walking over, Bassanio had found that he chose correctly. At the same time, I loved that he was so considerate to Portia and how she felt about the situation. He actually asked her if it was ok that they marry. Of course Portia was blown away and stated, “Myself, and what is mine, to you and yours / Is now converted” (3.2.166–7). Like some characters who may convert their religions, especially to marry, Portia is more romantic in her way of stating that she “is now converted” to Bassanio.

On the other hand, I thought about my question I posted to someone else’s blog; Is Bassanio gay and is it possibly with Antonio? If so, will this affect the marriage to Portia at all? If they are secretly homosexual, what will Antonio think? How will he feel?

So as I continued reading, there was the letter sent from Antonio stating how he could not make up the debts but that all the debts between them two are no more. Back to the two being potential lovers, the point that Antonio requests to see Bassanio before he dies supports my assumptions. It is as if the letter from Antonio confesses his feelings towards Bassanio in more than just a friend way. At least the hopeless romantic part of me feels that way.

3 comments:

estaats said...

I question whether or not they are homosexual as well. Like you pointed out,in the end, Antonio's wish to see Bassanio is suspicious. At the same rate, I was so happy to finally see Bassanio and Portia together I just hoped that it would just stay that way, but we shall see.

Caitlin LaShomb said...

Well I completely agree. It's just that they never actually say the real type of relationship these characters have. As we read we find that Bassanio and Gratiano, even though they love their wives, would give them up in order to save Antonio. This is very striking, especially if they are only friends. I understand in today's day the term "Bros before hoes" but this is slightly stronger and negative. Also, Antonio states that dying for Bassanio is his way of showing his love. Love is a strong word and I'm sure Shakespeare knew this, as well as the rumors that Shakespeare was gay. Possibly he was putting himself into his characters.

hannahs said...

Ok, so I'm a hopeless romantic too. I'm a girl. I get it. That being said maybe Portia should have let her father's lottery continue without interference. I'm sure that on some level Bassiano does have feelings for Portia but for the most part one can assume that his heart belongs to another. When Antonio is about to die Bassiano says that he would give up his fortune, his kingdom, and his Wife to save his friend. Although he does not know his wife was in attendance that really shouldn't be something said especially when he was just spouting endless declarations of love to his wife. Not to mention that Bassiano gave away Portia's ring, but only when Antonio asked him to. It is possible that the two share nothing more then a very deep friendship, but still that does not make for a very romantic life for poor Portia. All of this makes me doubt the love story.