Monday, December 20, 2010

Twelfth Night Act III scene i

I found this class to be one of my favorites this semester, not only for the classes liveliness but, of course, for the content. In the past i've read Shakespeare before but i never really READ Shakespeare, like it was an i know whats going on moment but very briefly. I've always had a biased view of Shakespeare too: he's not THAT amazing. But i stand corrected: Shakespeare's pretty bad ass. And i just had an argument with my friend about this, he still says he isn't.

But from looking back at what we read so far My favorite has to be Twelfth Night. It was just so humorous, and my imagination just blew it up for me. My favorite scene of course was Act III Scene i (if i wasn't stage shy or if i actually remembered about it i would have atleast suggested it as a scene to act out) when Cesario returns to talk to Olivia. It's funny i didn't imagine this scene when reading it in the garden, i guess i imagined it more in a modern building apartment or in a mansion. In a very lavishly comical way.

Olivia for me was just so desperate and in my own imagination her desperation is acted out very physically, as in when Cesario tries to leave she throws herself at him, holds onto him pleading for his company (this of course could become slightly problematic since Cesario is a girl...she might accidentally find some feminine curves in those hugs) and he tries desperately in every way to get away from her. I sort of think of a more tame version of the Elephant Scene in Moulin Rouge. Though i could see Olivia trying that one out on Cesario too. But i can just imagine her throwing herself against doors blocking his way out and chasing him around tables and things.

No comments: