Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Paltz's production of Twelfth Night

I thought the actors in Twelfth Night gave a wonderful performance, and it wasn't just them that made the production successful: the costumes and the sets were also fantastic. The choice of a baroque setting was very interesting; it worked, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The scenery was great- the paint job made each set piece appear to have natural textures. However, having a seat on the side was frustrating. At many points, the actors had their backs to us audience members on the sides, which made it hard to see the main action and the facial expressions of the actors.

Seeing the play on stage made me change my opinion of how Shakespeare meant to represent the character Malvolio. Originally when I read the play, I thought that the mistreatment of Malvolio was supposed to be humorously satisfying to the audience, who would be happy to see the pompous jerk getting what he deserves. However, during the last scene in which all of the characters were laughing at him, I felt terrible for Malvolio. This feeling of sympathy was intended by the director- I could tell because the rest of the audience was as silent as I was while the characters on stage laughed uproariously.

No comments: