Thursday, May 13, 2010

Macbeth Rap

I posted this specific video on Macbeth because I think that rap is a modern form of art that truly values expressing oneself. Although I may not always agree with the message in a rap song, it is still an interesting genre of music that allows the artist to establish how they feel. When I found this video I thought it was great because it introduces a new way to think about Macbeth because it's rapped rather than read aloud or to oneself. It's not every day you hear a Shakespeare rap song on the radio or television.


A few questions I pondered while watching this video include:

1. How would Shakespeare feel about this performance? Angry? Interested ?

2. How would the Macbeth rap be as a played out performance on stage?

I think these are interesting to think about considering Shakespeare obviously never heard of rap before. In addition, rap as a modern form of art an expression possesses extreme amounts of passion in the same sense that Shakespeare illuminates in his plays.

No comments: