Thursday, May 13, 2010

James McAvoy as Macbeth


This clip is from a 2005 adaptation of Macbeth staring James McAvoy. Although I haven’t seen the whole movie, from this clip I can determine that this adaptation is set in a present day restaurant, and I’m guessing instead of becoming king, Macbeth became head chef or owner of the restaurant etc. What I’m really interested in is what occurs after 2:54 in this clip, after Joe/Macbeth finds out that his wife Ella/Lady Macbeth has committed suicide. Joe/Macbeth explicitly states that he is devoid of emotion and feels nothing. I also find it really interesting that at the end of this scene I expected Macduff and Joe/Macbeth to really fight but they don’t. Joe/Macbeth actually says that he will not fight Macduff. It seems to me that Joe/Macbeth has really given up.

Questions:

1. When Joe/Macbeth says he feels nothing, does he really feel nothing? Or is there some evidence in his body language and facial expressions that suggest otherwise?

2. What was the director trying to accomplish by excluding a powerful fight scene between Joe/Macbeth and Macduff? Does it seem like Macbeth simply gives up all hope?

No comments: