Monday, April 26, 2010

King Lear

I have read King Lear before, and remember enjoying it. This is the second time I am reading King Lear and am remembering it quite well. Since this is the first time I am blogging about this play, I wanted to start at the beginning; where each of the daughters are supposed to "confess" their undying love for their father. I feel that it was fair and necessary to divide the land up evenly among his daughters, however I feel that it was just stupid and silly for him to see who "loves him more". Not for nothing, I feel that is so stupid. "I will give you something you want, but you must tell me how much you love me first" ?? Of course, if someone asked me that, I would just tell them what they wanted to hear (if I didn't like them all that much).
I feel that obviously, Cordelia was the only truthful one in this situation, and King Lear just overlooked it as an insult. I feel that that was incredibly stupid. I also feel that the idea of language and love, and nothing are very apparent within this play. To King Lear, obviously, love has to do with language and making sure the more you talk and boast, the more love you have for something/someone. Whereas in Cordelia's case, she spoke of nothing and had the most love for her father and he believed that it wasn't enough and took it as an insult that she couldn't speak of all the ways she loved him as a father. Cordelia spoke of nothing and he thought that that meant she didn't love him at all. I feel that was selfish and blind by King Lear.

Another thought I had about this play was the mention of Scene 3, Act 4. Where King Lear wants to be a beggar like Tom the poor man. "Worm no silk, beast no hide, sheep no wool, cat no perfume". Where he begins to strip down his clothes, I feel that it was a way of him gaining his independence. King Lear, at this moment, doesn't want to have to rely on animal-made products. I feel that he is stating a point here, that he wants to be freed of the things that he relies on to make him who he is. I feel that this was a very important part in the play.

1 comment:

Cyrus Mulready said...

I really like the connection here between the opening scene and Lear later in the play, as he proclaims that he no longer needs those things which cover up our beast-like state. In the opening, Lear is searching for love, human connection, and the gratitude of his daughters. Yet later, as he rejects all the trappings of humanity, he seems to forget about love. That is, until Cordelia returns, at which point we see him remembering that original connection he sought. Maybe this is one of the things that makes Lear such a profound tragedy--that once he comes to the moment of recognition, it is too late.