Monday, March 8, 2010

Thoughts on Richard II

Sorry this is a little late (I got stuck at work!) So far, after only reading the first few scenes of Richard II, I found that I am having a pretty hard time understanding it. I find it pretty confusing and not very entertaining so far. As a reader, we begin with King Richard II disputing with John of Gaunt and Henry Bolingbroke. It seems that they are arguing over one of them being accused of treachery. As it continues, we find out that the accuser is the King's cousin, Henry Bolingbroke. "Namley to appeal each other of high treason. Cousin of Hereford, what dost thou object against the Duke of Norfolk". Right off the bat, it is really hard to understand much of what is going on between John of Gaunt, King Richard II and Henry Bolingbroke. There is much discussion and debate about the treachery that has been committed. I do however understand that King Richard II decided to set a date for the noblemen to duel out their differences on their own. "Be ready, as your lives shall answer it, at Conventry, upon Saint Lambert's Day: there shall your swords and lances arbitrate the swelling difference of your settled hate." I understand this part, but would like to know further what more the treachery is about.

Scene 2 continues with the introduction of the Duchess. This is the Duchess of Gloucester and is a widow. Her husband Thomas was murdered; "What shall I say ? to safeguard thine own life, the best way is to venge my Gloucester's death." It's not really clear though as to how he was murdered, nor by who, by my understanding. Scene 2 is very short and doesn't really describe much of anything except to discuss the Duchess really. I feel like it is only a little incerpt of what is going on with the Duchess and John of Gaunt. I have to further read on to see if I can understand it a little more clearly, because at this point I am not enjoying it much either.

1 comment:

Cyrus Mulready said...

The last point here is interesting--perhaps Shakespeare made the murder of Gloucester vague and confusing to serve the plot? The details of this murder never really emerge in the play, so perhaps we are meant to feel confused?